Monday, July 16, 2012

07/14/12 Summer Convective Updrafts

A gorgeous convective updraft at sunset along
the Illinois River near Peoria, IL

On Saturday, I began a drive back to my hometown of Kewanee, IL shortly after 7:00pm. While I was out and about I stopped to photograph some distant convective updrafts. This convection was along a remnant outflow boundary from previous thunderstorms earlier in the day that formed east of Peoria, IL. These bubbling updrafts were quite picturesque with the low sun-angle near sunset. I primarily used my Canon 70-300mm telephoto-zoom lens to capture the images I've posted below. That lens is one of my favorite lenses anymore, but it doesn't beat my wide-angle lenses though. Anyhow, I shot a few photos before I lost much of my light and later continued my short 40-minute drive across rural-Stark County, IL. I've added a few photos from the late evening below:

It doesn't get much better than that!
 More beautiful colors illustrating the CAPE present
Convective Available Potential Energy...
 This boundary didn't really feature much convection, but
yet provided a few photogenic shots...
 Talk about some good contrast...
 Summer instability at its best!
 One more before the sun sets as
the atmosphere began to stabilize...

That will do it for this quick post. With the on-going drought it has left me with lots of free time this summer, but actually I could have used a nice "break" after a busy couple of years so it doesn't bother me too much. In fact, it has allowed me to focus on a few other "projects" I'm currently working on for next spring already...