Sunday, September 7, 2014

08/25/14 Summer Thunderstorm

 A summertime explosion occurs as a thunderstorm's updraft soars into the atmosphere just east of Peoria, IL

On August 25th, I immediately saw signs of convective initiation as I was on my way home from work during the early evening in Peoria, IL. The atmosphere was quite unstable with 4,000J/kg of CAPE, 0-6km shear at 25kts (not supporting much storm-organization), and a very moist boundary-layer with dew points near 75°F. This convection began to form along a remnant outflow boundary from previous convection that had collapsed near Moline, IL during the early afternoon. Anyhow, after 5:30pm I ended up watching a healthy cumulonimbus cloud blossom in the eastern horizon that was near East Peoria, IL. I quickly grabbed my camera at my apartment to snap a few photos as it was quite a photogenic storm that was a good 20-miles away. It may have not looked that great on radar, but the view from behind the storm was well worth a few shots during the late-evening. Once the storm started to get a little farther away I called it an evening. I've added a couple more photos below:

 Quite an explosive late-August day!
One more shot of the deep-moist convection in the distance!

That's all for this quick post. I also found myself photographing some more convection locally on August 28th and I'll post a few photos from that day soon as well.