Saturday, April 4, 2015

04/04/15 Lunar Eclipse

A lunar eclipse ongoing this morning during sunrise in Peoria, IL 

This morning, I ventured out very early to shoot some images of the lunar eclipse just before sunrise and before moonset. I used my Canon 5D Mark III and Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.0-5.6 II L IS lens to shoot some shots of the lunar eclipse. It was a very chilly morning thanks to clear skies with a temperature near 30°F. It sure didn't feel like a spring morning in central Illinois. Unfortunately, the "blood moon" really wasn't featured here in the Midwest because the total eclipse occurred at sunrise and mostly after moonset as well. With that being said, I shot some neat images of the lunar eclipse in progress as it neared the horizon here in central Illinois. I've added photos I shot from this morning below:

 The moon sequence I shot before sunrise and before the moon was too close to the horizon...
 The typical full moon...
 And so it begins...
 These are always neat events to witness!
 Halfway there!
 Nearing the total eclipse...
 All the above photos in a single image!
 Sunrise as the lunar eclipse is near totality!
 Pretty cool!
 Closer-view!
 A Illinois farmstead making for a neat scene with the lunar eclipse in the background at sunrise...
 It was tough to get in the right position for this shot, but it was well worth it!

It was a productive Saturday morning and I was quite pleased with several of the shots I took. In case you were wondering the next lunar eclipse will actually be later this year in September.