Sunday, June 15, 2008

06/15/08 Elevated (MCS) = Best Structure of the Year

Elevated (MCS) rolls in just after dawn

After waking up in the middle of the night for no particular reason I glanced at my radar in my office and noticed an elevated (MCS) in north-central Iowa tracking east-southeast. At this time it was 4am and I was contemplating going back to sleep, but I felt that this Mesoscale Convective System would hold together and roll into my hometown in the next 2 hours and I would kick myself if I missed this opportunity.

Unbelievable structure to my northwest
Portrait-view of this picturesque MCS

A long story short, I was delighted with my best structure of the year to photograph. This thing was beautiful and the lack of lightning was good as well. It would have been awesome to get some CG's from this thing, but at the same time it was far more safer.

One last photo as it's about a mile to my northwest

After the cool outflow was felt and the brisk wind heard in this west-central Illinois corn field I took shelter indoors for the rest of the morning, but very happy I decided to wake up so early on this day...