Monday, December 7, 2009

12/07/09 Winter 2009: First Snowfall

Snow plow in action after receiving
the first official snowfall of the winter

A quick disturbance produced the first official snowfall (inch or greater of snow) during the overnight hours in the local-area (Kewanee, IL). This made roads quite slippery and caused many accidents in the local-area during the morning-rush. I decided to venture out the door and get some photos of the event. However, I didn't know just how interesting the morning would later become...I took a few photos of some Christmas decorations that were coated in the fresh snowfall including our driveway. This is where we strung Christmas lights and decorations and made for a good photo-op. At this time, I didn't know this would be important for "before-and-after shots" 10 minutes later. Indeed this was the case however...as I was wandering around the yard for a few more photos of the snowfall on this morning I heard an insane boom...my eyes wandered to the roadway where a SUV rolls right across the driveway. At first, I couldn't believe what I was seeing since well it's not something you're used to seeing everyday. This was a nasty accident! Anyhow, I ran inside and got the proper personal to the area. No injuries surprisingly...but trust me in live action I thought this was a whole hell of a lot more serious. Turns out a driver behind the accident said these drivers were going way too fast on the snow-covered road. They lost control and as they hit some landscape concrete curving and the gate to our driveway in turn rolling the vehicle twice and landing upright in the front yard. Tickets were issued with no valid drivers license, no insurance, and speed. Afterwards, I pondered how different things could have been if I was taking those photos during the time of the accident where I was 10 min prior. Made for a decent story however...

Christmas holiday lights snow-coated
I do recall mentioning in a post a couple weeks ago how
interesting it would be to see farmers still in the field
picking corn during a snow event...

Holiday decorations providing a nice photo-op with the fresh snowfall
Ya...I have my own lawn sign
Nature shot (macro-lens)
One of many Evergreen trees on the property
I know what you're thinking, but they are "shatter-proof"
Our goat's pasture snow-covered
Snow on some of these energy-friendly LED Christmas lights (macro-lens)
Here are all those Evergreens I mentioned...
Rudolph, as if someone had a little too much fun in the snow...
The snow "blanket" in the front yard

Here are some photos I took of the accident below that I witnessed during the morning:

Here's the before shot...10 min before to be exact
After shot...
The scene...
Stark County Sheriff on the scene
Totaled vehicle being towed and put on a flat-bed

A few photos of our first official snowfall ended up being a little more entertaining than I was thinking when I wandered out the door on this morning I'd say...