Monday, July 5, 2010

07/04/10 4th of July Fireworks: Peoria, IL

4th of July firework celebration along
the Peoria, IL riverfront

Sunday, I attended the 4th of July celebration along the Illinois River in Peoria, IL. I've always wanted to have the opportunity to photograph the 4th of July firework display in this area, but something would always come up in years past. Since however, the weather pattern in terms of severe weather has been in quite a lull as of late I figured I might as well use my free-time to photograph Peoria's firework display. Typically, I end up photographing local displays near home (Kewanee, IL, Galva, IL, etc.), but this year I decided it was time for a change. Something like $100,000 was spent on this firework display I heard earlier in the week which if you think about it equated to a little over $3,000 per minute during the 30 minute show. That's a much larger firework budget than the local shows I usually attend to say the least. The traffic/congestion near the river just before the show was insane which resembled utter chaos in some cases. I can only imagine what's like in Chicago, IL during the 4th of July after attending this more "crowded" celebration than I'm accustomed to. Other than a few "characters" in the crowd that maybe chugged a few too many it seemed most people were on their best behavior making the show more enjoyable...Anyhow, after spending some of the evening getting set up and warding off mosquitoes it was time for the show at dusk...I've added photos and some video of the best firework celebration I've seen to-date below:

Peoria, IL riverfront at dusk just before the show...
And the show begins...
We had an awesome spot for the show to say the least
Typical multi-color fireworks
One of my favorite shots from the night!
Close enough to fill up the
wide-angle lens...that's intense!
Peoria, IL skyline getting rather colorful
Amazing watching the embers fall into
the Illinois River from this "weeping willow"
A rather gold lookin' skyline
Barge (center)...couldn't ask for a better set up location
(I'll have to remember this semi-secret location for future reference)

Another one of my favorite shots from the evening
Colorful display here...this show wasn't disappointing at all
(best firework display I've seen)
Firework (UFO) hovering over downtown Peoria, IL
More and more firework fun...
Lets begin the finale'
The crowd (foreground) enjoying the last of the show
The beginning of the end (Grand finale')
Beautiful shot!
More firework mayhem as the show comes to an end
 
I've added a YouTube animation of the finale'
using my still photographs (above)


I'm one who enjoys the "challenge" shooting the annual firework celebrations during the 4th of July. It's always nice to sharpen-up on some night photography every now and then when there are no storms around to chase...