Wednesday, May 9, 2012

05/02/12 Mesoscale Convective System (MCS)

A decaying Mesoscale Convective System (MCS)
shows off its gust front over Peoria, IL

About a week ago, I woke up early on a Wednesday morning as a decaying Mesoscale Convective System (MCS) was heading toward Peoria, IL shortly after 6:30AM. I pulled out the "gear" and headed out for some local photo-ops hoping for a decent shelf cloud to photograph. This MCS was quickly losing its cold pool as it began to pass overhead as it was currently in a weakening-phase. With that being said, I ended up shooting a few decent shots as the shelf cloud approached and passed off to the southeast of Peoria, IL. I missed the supercell and tornado near Champaign, IL the previous day as I was at work. It's not like Pokémon folks..."You can't catch them all"! Anyhow, I've posted a few photos and some time-lapse video from May 2nd below:

The sun rises illuminating a MCS in the
northwestern horizon....
I snapped this one as the sun rose above the horizon
with my Canon telephoto-zoom lens (70-300mm)!
I would of liked some better color here, but this
MCS was decaying therefore it left a pretty dull
shelf cloud at this point...
 Another nice wide-angle shot of the distant convection
moving slowly overhead!
 Here comes the shelf cloud and whale's mouth!
 One last sunrise shot!
 
I've added a YouTube time-lapse of some of the convection
in the northwest horizon at sunrise (above)...

That will wrap up this blog post. Finally, I was able to photograph some convection and last week provided some "chase" opportunities as well in the local-area. I'll post those chase logs in the coming days! More to come...