Monday, May 21, 2012

05/20/12 Illinois Multicells & Sunset

Intense multicells along the Illinois River create a
dramatic sunset in Peoria, IL on Sunday evening...

On May 20th, I headed out to chase and intercept a severe-warned multicell that developed outside Kewanee, IL. I didn't expect much of anything on this "chase day" even though I had the day-off, but I figured I'd grab a few photos before my vacation begins in nearly a week. Sunday's setup was quite marginal with more pulse-type multicell thunderstorms expected due to the rather anemic shear present across the area. I targeted an area across west-central Illinois where it seemed convective initiation would occur during the early-afternoon ahead of an approaching cold front. This area was characterized by nearly 2,000J/kg of CAPE present, 0-6km shear rather limited below 30kts, and a moistening boundary-layer with dew points around 60°F. The potential for any supercell and/or tornado was very low on this day with many factors contributing to a pretty much non-existent tornado threat. Anyhow, I headed out shortly before noon to my hometown to stop in for a quick lunch expecting convective initiation to occur nearby outside Kewanee, IL. This indeed did occur by early-afternoon as I watched cumulus quickly build into a towering updraft to my northwest. Once this storm had some reflectivity show up on radar I began to head north to keep up with this developing severe thunderstorm as it went severe-warned as it entered Bureau County, IL. I shot north to catch up to this intense multicell that put down a hail report or two. I caught up to this thunderstorm outside Walnut, IL near a wind farm across northern Illinois. I stopped here and took a few photos, but would let this storm go to my northeast and pushed back south to intercept some new multicells that were developing along the southern flank of this storm. I shot a few photos at this point along IL-Rt. 26 as I progressed back south near Princeton, IL. I quickly called it a chase and headed back to my hometown for dinner before I began the trip back to Peoria, IL to hopefully view the solar eclipse. Unfortunately, pesky clouds behind convection along the Illinois River really killed my chances. With that being said, I witnessed one of the best sunsets I've seen in quite some time here in Peoria, IL. It was quite amazing! I haven't seen such a vivid sunset like we had last night in maybe a few years that sent many running outside with their camera or phone. It was spectacular and all thanks to some convection that was back-building into Peoria, IL from the east. Near sunset the sun was able to dip below the anvil illuminating these thunderstorms providing a stellar sunset. Mother Nature left me happy despite being unable to view the solar eclipse. I've added photos from the brief chase and last evenings amazing sunset below:

Convective initiation begins north of Kewanee, IL during the early-afternoon...
 Warm-moist air becoming buoyant!
 Multicell thunderstorm over this wind farm
east of Walnut, IL...
 Portrait-shot of the wind farm and convection!
  Developing convection overhead along the southern flank!
 Another portrait-shot!
Atomic bomb anvil! (looking north)
Trying to get more organized...
Another shot looking north southeast of Walnut, IL...
 Convection over a northern Illinois landscape!
 The sun begins to dip below the anvil in Peoria, IL
creating a dramatic sunset!
 Looking east at ongoing convection along the Illinois River
that is back-lit by the setting sun...
 An evening full of dramatic colors!
 An incredible sunset over the apartment complex!
 Quite a golden-sunset in the western horizon!
(Canon 70-300mm telephoto-zoom lens)
 One of the deepest red sunsets I've seen to-date!
 Another colorful shot!
   Looking east at the picturesque back-building convection...
 One last beautiful shot to end on...

That will wrap up this post. Yesterday, was a great day if you are a photographer hoping to capture some beautiful images. Indeed I was quite happy with Mother Nature's spectacular display during the evening. It looks like I won't have "much" storm chasing in store for myself this week as I'm not too intrigued in any chase setup quite yet and won't be able to make long distance trips this week. Hopefully, Mother Nature pumps in some deep-rich moisture soon as it has been fairly non-existent over the last month. I'll be on vacation starting May 28th-June 10th and I'm hoping to non-stop chase during that period, but that depends on good ole' Mother Nature of course...