Wednesday, November 7, 2012

10/20/12 Notre Dame Fall Foliage: 2012

Fall foliage peaking at the campus of
Notre Dame in South Bend, IN

On October 20th, I visited the campus of the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, IN as the family and I had tickets to the football game that Saturday afternoon against BYU. The last time I visited was back in 2010 which wasn't as enjoyable due to the weather conditions and brief stay. Anyhow, after the long 5-hour drive the day before I ventured out quite early on Saturday morning to capture some fall foliage on campus. The campus to my liking seemed deserted at this time before 70,000+ people packed into the campus for the game later that afternoon. It worked out quite well for photography purposes. I spent all morning taking photos before the big game started during the early afternoon. I can't complain at all because the colors were absolutely beautiful on campus thanks to cloudy skies and damp conditions from recent rainfall. In other words, it was a perfect morning for photography as both my DSLR cameras got some heavy use. I've added many of my favorite photos I shot on campus below:

A golden-yellow canopy of fall foliage!
Oh, when I saw the making of
this shot I was quite happy...
Insanely vibrant red fall foliage on this morning!
The Golden Dome amidst the fall foliage...
Beautiful statue with the fall colors in abundance!
I love this perspective along this fall path!
Stunning fall colors...
The previous night's rainfall made for
some stellar photography...
Picturesque scenes everywhere you look!
One of the first shots I took on this morning
and I knew quickly it would be a good day!
A shot of the Golden Dome ahead! (wide-angle)
Vibrant red's and orange's on this day...
Beautiful rose bush providing a photo-op!
Fall colors along this path to the Golden Dome...
Burning red!
A beautiful campus to say the least!
An enjoyable walk...
Absolutely one of my favorite fall photos this year!
Standing water providing a fall reflection. Nice!
I was quite happy with the fall colors to say the least...
The football stadium!
The sun would later come out around noon...
A sweet panoramic shot of the stadium! (iPhone 5)
Click to enlarge...
Crazy colors!
I thought this was an interesting shot with
 the sun trying to peak out (left)...
And another of the Golden Dome...
The stadium once again however from a distance!
"Touchdown Jesus" with a reflecting pool!
The sun pops out providing more colorful photos...
I thought this was a cool shot with
the staircase in shadow (left)...
One last photo as I head to the football game!

That's all for now. Notre Dame did get the W by a final score of (17-14) over BYU, but it was a nail-bitter for a time. It was a very productive day and enjoyable game. We headed home arriving back in Peoria, IL around 1:00am. I'll be doing more photography over the next few months. Stay tuned for more posts over the winter months.