Tuesday, May 27, 2014

04/21/14 Underneath the Stars

A lighthouse amidst starry skies outside Kewanee, IL

Last month, I was able to break in my Canon 5D Mark III and my Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L lens for some astrophotography. I shot all of these photos outside my hometown of Kewanee, IL in rural-Stark County, IL. My first impressions are quite good with both the camera and lens. I'm quite impressed with the quality in low-light situations and higer-ISO's which was expected when I upgraded to a full-frame sensor camera. Over the last few years I've become more and more interested in photographing the night sky. It's amazing what you can do with the night sky in terms of photography and what you can observe. Anyhow, on a few nights I used my parent's outdoor lighthouse (a favorite of mine) to get a few test shots with this camera. I've added a few photos I shot below:

Light painting the foreground a bit with a flashlight in the backyard...
The stars "popping" out between cirrus clouds!
More light painting to get the lighthouse to "pop" in this photo...
A rather neat wide-angle perspective!
This was a cold clear spring night with no moonlight present...
Another close-up of the lighthouse!
The lighthouse and the pool enclosure have definitely provided some great photos over the years...

After a couple nights testing out the low-light capabilities with this camera I moved on to some more photography over the next few weeks and some storm chasing as well. I'll update with those posts soon.