Tuesday, January 27, 2015

01/06/15 Winter Wildlife

A red-tailed hawk perched in a tree on a January morning in Edwards, IL 

Earlier this month, I shot several photos of wildlife in the local area. I wanted to capture several different types of birds which I haven't had much experience photographing over the years. Anyhow, I spent several hours this month trying to capture some good shots of the winter wildlife that you can observe in your backyard on a daily basis. I shot all of these photos with my Canon 5D Mark III and Canon EF 70-300mm f4.0-5.6 IS lens. I've added several photos from many hours of photographing wildlife below:

 A blue jay getting ready to have a snack on a winter morning!
 A photogenic cardinal
 A close-up of a blue jay!
 A northern flicker
A blue jay grasping to a tree branch...
The hawk!
"Communicating"
A vibrant red cardinal amidst the snowy landscape!
A great spot to get a "bird's eye view" I'd say!
"Anxious"
Time to fly...
"Watching like a hawk"
One of my favorite blue jay shots!
"Time for a snack"
The northern flicker again!
"Striking a pose"
Gotta love the detail!
A cardinal trying to play hide-n'-seek, but highly ineffective...
I shot this photo before the winter storm...
 And this one as well of a red-bellied woodpecker
Pretty cool to have them both together in one shot!
"Staying warm"
"Playing in the snow"
"Hanging on"
"Lunchtime"
A red-headed woodpecker joins the group!
Time to eat!
This is a perfect spot for photographing these birds...
This cardinal is just "hanging out"...
Another neat close-up!
Communicating?
"Feeding time"

That's all for this post. I have some more posts I'm working on and I'll be posting those in the coming days as well.