Sunday, July 9, 2017

06/08/17 Upper Antelope Canyon

A morning photographing Upper Antelope Canyon outside Page, AZ

On June 8th, my day started early in the morning shortly after sunrise. I photographed Horseshoe Bend and then joined up with a tour to head to Upper Antelope Canyon outside Page, AZ on a 4x4 truck. After a little off-road driving we made it to the canyon. It was another brutally hot day and the tours were all filled to capacity except for the early morning. I quickly discovered upon entering the canyon just how much darker this canyon was at this time of day. It was a struggle to get what I was hoping for out of this tour as the ambient light was much lower than my tour the previous day in Lower Antelope Canyon. Add to the fact that tripods are not allowed on the normal guided tour it was a struggle to say the least. Toward the end of the tour enough light started to filter into the canyon to allow me to get a few images out of the morning however. I shot these photos with my Canon 5D Mark III and once again with my Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 II L lens. I've added a few photos that I shot during this particular morning below:

"The dark-side"
It was a little creepy and disorientating in this canyon at first until we got some light into the canyon...
Outside of the canyon...
A favorite despite how incredibly dark it was in the canyon!
"In the house of stone and light"
More unique formations!
Beautiful!
"Try to leave a light on"
"Sandstone"
Neat colors!
Leaving the canyon...

Overall, I would have loved to have toured this canyon at a more optimal time of day, but unfortunately with the extreme heat and peak times booked that wasn't in the cards. With that being said, I was able to capture a few good images of this canyon as well. I also photographed Horseshoe Bend on this day and on June 9th as well and I will add photos from those days of photography in an upcoming post.