Tuesday, February 16, 2016

12/28/15 Ice Storm

An ice storm hits central Illinois last December in Peoria, IL

On December 28th, an ice storm took aim on central Illinois throughout the day. We received between (0.10-0.25) of an inch of ice accumulation in Peoria, IL and in the surrounding area during this storm. The ice accumulation on trees and power lines caused many power outages and damage across the area combined with winds gusts around 50mph. I ventured out during the event with my Canon 5D Mark III and Canon 7D to snap a few photos, but it was rather difficult with the harsh weather conditions. Air temperatures began to warm later in the day as the freezing rain changed over to a cold rain which were not great conditions for photography at all. With that being said, I tried my best to capture a few images around my house of the icing that had taken place on this day before the melting process quickly began. I've added a few photos I managed to shoot on a tough day of photography below:

Ice accumulation caused lots of problems on this day...
"Digits frozen in ice"
"An ice coating"
Too bad it all melted so quick and we never got any sunshine after this event...
More ice...
No snowflakes on this day, but still a winter mess across central Illinois!

That's all to report on this day. I wish this ice didn't melt as quick as it did and allowed for another day of photography after the event, but Mother Nature had other ideas on this particular go around.