Friday, July 8, 2011

06/15/11 Bradford, IL Wind Farm

Wind farm in west-central
Illinois east of Bradford, IL

A few weeks ago, I enjoyed a well deserved week-long vacation (June 13-20). During this time, I did lots of traveling and storm chasing ending up in several states (CO, IA, IL, NE). Before I headed for the open road however I shot some local wind farm photos near Bradford, IL. This was an interesting day as I didn't foresee much in the way for severe weather in the local-area on this day so I decided to do some photography of a different sort. Looking back I sure wish I had my laptop along the drive as a northwest-flow supercell developed along the Mississippi River during the late-afternoon and actually produced a "surprise" tornado near Erie, IL. I made sure though I didn't leave empty-handed per say from that storm however. After doing some wind farm photography I headed home noticing some convection in the northwest horizon. I was annoyed to say the least as I saw on radar this convection to my northwest had just produced a tornado. Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to the mesoscale setup on this day. Otherwise, I might of been in this area during the afternoon. Oh well, I still managed to photograph this supercell as it approached my location east of Kewanee, IL. I shot a few photos and took some video of this supercell as well. I'll be posting another post dealing with that supercell very soon. Anyhow, here are a few photos I took of the local wind farm below:

I probably drop by this wind farm a few times a
year for photography purposes...

Low stratus deck (background) as the environment
destabilizes which should of been a clue to

convection in the next few hours...oh well

Portrait-shot!
One last shot of the wind farm as I head back home...

I drove back home quickly after taking these photos to watch the above-mentioned northwest-flow supercell approach from the northwest. I'll be posting photos of that supercell very shortly...