Friday, July 8, 2011

06/21/11 Hanna City, IL Supercell

Grungy looking supercell over Hanna City, IL

Tuesday, (June 21) I had to work most of the day in Peoria, IL. Once I got off work at around 5:00pm I noticed thunderstorms erupting along the cold front to my immediate west. I headed west out of Peoria, IL analyzing the situation on the drive. I noticed a thunderstorm becoming more and more interesting on radar and entering a favorable area. This area near Hanna City, IL was characterized by 2,000J/kg of CAPE, 0-6km shear at 40kts, and a moist boundary-layer as well. This storm tried to wrap its precipitation at one point (hook echo) around its updraft. Quickly though this storm became outflow dominate but for just a moment looked interesting. I've added some photos and video below:

First view of the storm outside Peoria, IL
near Hanna City, IL

Supercell shows a brief funnel here (left), but
quickly goes outflow dominate...

And another...
Wide-angle shot as I could feel the outflow
from this storm at this point

Hang-me-downs wrapped in rain (center)...
The storm passes providing some
more photography opportunities

(Canon telephoto-zoom lens 70-300mm)
Convection now northeast of Peoria, IL
Spectacular view near sunset looking
east toward Peoria, IL


I've added a YouTube time-lapse (above)

I'm finally all caught up on posts. I will be posting a summer post in the coming weeks with some photos I've taken this summer that are post worthy. As far as storm chasing goes that pretty much wraps it up for me as far as the Great Plains goes. I still plan on chasing in the IL/IA area this summer, but since the season has calmed down you'll see me chasing locally more than anything...