Wednesday, December 14, 2011

11/05/11 Starry Skies & Star Trails

A few star trails over our outdoor glass
enclosure outside Kewanee, IL

About a month ago I made a short trip back home to my hometown of Kewanee, IL. On my visit I snapped a few photos after dark of some of our family's holiday light display and for the first time did some star trail photography as well. I didn't have too much time to do some very long exposures with some star trails to my dismay, but I'm sure I'll find some time in the future however. One thing that I determined during this outing was that I really need a battery grip for my Canon EOS 7D DSLR in the future. Hmm...maybe Santa will bring me one of these this Christmas?! Anyhow, I've added a few photos I shot below:

Here was a quick star trail shot. (Would have been
even better as a longer exposure if I had more

free time on this night...grr) Shucks!

Another perspective here...
A much longer exposure and here
come the star trails...

Interesting colors here at dusk...
Now we are inside the enclosure where our pool
resides which right now is a block of ice...

As usual...you'll find some Christmas
lights at my family's residence

Alternating colors...
Tis. the season for these Christmas light
displays in neighborhoods!

That will wrap up this post. I'll be making more of an effort to do this type of photography (star trails) in the future when I have some free time. I haven't been posting that much recently since I've been settling into a new job here in the past month or so. Heck, and really their just hasn't been much to blog about weather-wise since it has been unseasonably warm this December and we've yet to see our first official inch of snow in Peoria, IL. It has been a strange winter thus far. Old Man Winter hasn't buried us yet, but something tells me he'll be knocking on our doorstep soon enough...Stay tuned.