Thursday, June 21, 2012

05/29/12 Niabi Zoo: Coal Valley, IL

A jaguar at Niabi Zoo in Coal Valley, IL...

On May 29th, instead of making a long trip to Oklahoma to chase some severe convection that was being forecast I decided to spend one more day in the local-area after chasing in west-central Illinois the previous evening. On this day, I decided to make a trip to Niabi Zoo in Coal Valley, IL to snap a few photos of some wildlife. I had been meaning to do this for quite some time, but I just didn't have the necessarily time to do so. Since I was on vacation and the weather cooperated I decided that this would be a perfect day to visit this zoo again. It had been quite awhile ago that I had visited this zoo as I do vaguely remember being a small child at that time. I must be getting old since I've only vague memories of that particular experience. I guess my youth is already starting to disappear eh?! Anyhow, this turned out being a relaxing day that sure felt nice especially knowing that I would be waking up quite early to make a long drive to Kansas the next day with an enhanced-severe weather risk in the offing. I've added a few of my favorite photos I shot from the day below:

These guy's are out relaxing and
enjoying the weather it sure seems like...
 Shot with my Canon 70-300mm telephoto-zoom lens!
 Our national bird: the Bald Eagle!
 A Mallard enjoying a nice swim...
 Giraffes hanging out inside getting some breakfast...
 Kangaroo about to go hopping around!
 One of the Ninja turtles?
 A close-up shot of a Llama!
 An Asian Elephant at the zoo...
 Close-up shot of a Mallard!
 A great shot here with the fountain in the background
as the mallard swims in the foreground...
 A zoo is not a zoo without a Zebra right?!
 A female lion enjoying some sun!
 A Black Swan searching for some food...
 A close-up of a Hawk here...
 I'm very familiar with goats since we have some
back home, but here is one at the zoo too!
 A great shot of two mallards hanging out together here...

That's all for now. After visiting the zoo, I headed back to my hometown to rest-up for a long drive in the early morning hours as I expected to chase in southwest Kansas on May 30th. It was a day that sure left me with many spectacular photos! That chase day and future posts to come...