Sunday, June 24, 2012

06/05/12 Badlands of South Dakota & Mount Rushmore

A scenic route (SD Rt. 240) that passes through the

On June 05, I decided to visit the Badlands of South Dakota and Mount Rushmore with no formidable severe weather risk across the Great Plains in the offing. I woke up quite early after rooming the previous night at a Best Western in Wall, SD and began heading south out of town on SD Rt. 240 that passes through the Badlands. I figured I'd do one photography session during the morning and one later in the afternoon as I arrived back to Wall, SD after visiting Mount Rushmore located southwest of Rapid City, SD. I spent about a hour and a half shooting many photos of the absolutely beautiful landscape. There is no doubt I'll be back here sooner rather than later. This was my first time visiting this location and I surely was impressed. I could spend endless days doing photography of the Badlands. Anyhow, after photographing the eroding rock formations I visited Mount Rushmore around noon and than later returned back to the Badlands around mid-afternoon to photograph them with a higher sun-angle. I've added many photos from this day's activities below:

A beautiful early morning shot of the Badlands!
 A shot of the sign which
is a frequent tourist photo-op...
 Bubbling cumulus over the Badlands by mid-afternoon!
 Mount Rushmore around midday...
(Canon 70-300mm telephoto-zoom lens)
I can't forget the South Dakota sign right?
One more I can add to the collection...
 What a beautiful landscape and a great view!
 Wildlife shot!
(Canon 70-300mm telephoto-zoom lens)
 A viewing point (left) of the Badland's buttes looking
down into the deep canyons...
 A portrait-shot of Mount Rushmore!
 Another great view!
A falcon in-flight?!
 Ongoing erosion can be seen here...
 A close-up...
Kind of was funny watching the tourists
with their "wimpy" cameras while I pull
out my beast of a DSLR camera!
 Talk about a scenic route...
 Crazy formations!
 Bighorn sheep relaxing on the crest of this hill...
 A wide-angle shot of the beautiful landscape!
(Canon 10-22mm wide-angle lens)
 A white-tail deer roaming the prairie
during the morning...
 A wide-angle shot of Mount Rushmore!
 Definitely not a "bridge-to-nowhere"...
 Portrait-shot of the bridge!
 Another beautiful view...
 Some falcons catching some thermals...
 A close-up shot!
(Canon 70-300mm telephoto-zoom lens)
 Another wide-angle shot here...
 One more close-up...
(Canon 70-300mm telephoto-zoom lens)
 A hot warm day nearly popped some convection
while I was in the park during the afternoon...
 Another wide angle shot...
 Cirrus clouds drifting over the Badlands...
 Portrait-shot of the amazing formations!
 Mount Rushmore yet again...
 Same photo, but with that Old School feel...
 One last shot before I head back for the evening...
 Convection indeed does develop as I arrive back to Wall, SD!
(This was shot from the balcony at my hotel)
 
I've added a GoPro video (above)

I would later call it a day after a long day of photography as I was already booked for the night at a Best Western in Wall, SD. I got a good night's sleep as I had another long drive the next morning to chase in Colorado. That post still to come...