Wednesday, September 23, 2015

09/15/15 The Milky Way

The Milky Way made for some great night photography last week near Camp Grove, IL 

Last week, I spent a few nights north of Peoria, IL near Camp Grove, IL photographing the night sky. The moon phase and weather cooperated on these nights to photograph the Milky Way. I decided to take this opportunity to attempt to shoot some photos under the stars for a change. I shot all of these photos with my Canon 5D Mark III along with my Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II L lens and tripod. I ended up traveling about a hour north of Peoria, IL to try to escape the light pollution from the city. Most of these shots were 20sec. exposures while using high-ISO's to capture the Milky Way. I've added a good handful of photos from a couple nights of photography below:

The sun begins to set...
"Between the interface of light and darkness"
A waxing crescent moon in the distance just before the stars make their appearance...
I love twilight photos!
Twilight providing a great mix of colors!
My favorite on this particular night!
Pesky cirrus clouds on this night were annoying in the southern horizon...
A wide-angle shot (looking south)!
Night #2 I had much better luck since there were a lack of clouds and not as windy...
Love the colors here at twilight as the Milky Way begins to make its appearance!
"A night under starry skies"
Simply amazing!
"We will be counting stars"
Another one of my favorite shots of the Milky Way over this bridge!
I saw many shooting stars on this night!
Light painting this tree with my flashlight helped to create this interesting photo...
One last shot of the Milky Way on this night...

It was a productive couple nights of photography and it was fun to photograph the night sky for a change.