Friday, June 13, 2014

05/23/14 Camelopardalid Meteor Shower Bust

A media-hyped meteor shower ended up being a bust outside Camp Grove, IL

On this night, I decided to photograph the night sky once again since many in the media were forecasting an epic meteor shower. I headed out after midnight as the show was scheduled to peak in a few hours. I found an area escaping the city lights of Peoria, IL outside Camp Grove, IL in rural-Stark County, IL. This night definitely did not live up to the expectations and hype at all. I saw a few meteors, but in no way a meteor storm. I made the best of it though shooting a few more photos at this wind farm so I didn't leave empty-handed. I've added a couple photos I shot on this night below:

Light painting and looking up at the milky way...
A cool perspective!
This time I shot it with the milky way...
A longer exposure here...

That's all for this post as the meteor storm never happened unfortunately. Oh well, it sure was nice to get out once again and photograph the night sky. More posts to come in the future as I continue to get caught up on photography posts and my storm chase travels over the last couple of weeks.