Saturday, June 21, 2014

06/02/14 Chimney Rock & Scott's Bluff National Monument

 Chimney Rock on a June morning outside Scott's Bluff, NE 

On June 2nd, I decided to do some sight-seeing since the risk for severe storms in the Great Plains was rather bleak. I decided to spend this down day in western Nebraska checking out Chimney Rock and Scott's Bluff National Monument along the Oregon Trail. I did some hiking and photographing along the way enjoying the tranquil weather. The next day was supposed to feature a severe weather outbreak so by mid-afternoon I called it a day and headed back east on I-80 to position myself in a favorable area for the next chase day. I roomed in Gothenburg, NE at a Comfort Suites to get rested up. I've added a few photos I snapped on this down day in western Nebraska below: 

 Chimney Rock under deep-blue skies!
 Entrance...
 Hitching a ride on the Oregon Trail!
Nebraska prairie and Chimney Rock!
A classic wagon and Scott's Bluff again...
 Scott's Bluff reminds of the Badlands of South Dakota...
 Dome Rock!
 Closer-view of Dome Rock...
 A old-fashioned wind mill and Chimney Rock!
 One more shot of Chimney Rock...

I quickly called it a day and tried to get a good night's rest as another chase day was in store on June 3rd. I'll update with that post soon.