Monday, June 23, 2014

06/04/14 Nebraska Convection

Convection forms on this evening near Bridgeport, NE

On June 4th, it was another upslope chase day in western Nebraska. I spent most of the day in Sidney, NE evaluating and forecasting. By mid-afternoon, convection began to develop near Scott's Bluff, NE so I decided it was time to hit the road so I headed north on U.S. 385. This area featured 3,000J/kg of CAPE, 0-6km shear at 35kts, and a moist boundary-layer with dew points near 60°F. Storms struggled however to get really organized on this chase day. One storm initiated along an outflow boundary near Bridgeport, NE that got my attention. I watched it for a good hour or so, but it really struggled to gain much rotation unfortunately. Realizing this storm wasn't gonna get it done and I didn't want to chase storms in the Sandhills to my north I ventured back to Sidney, NE. I called it a night early and roomed at a Best Western in Sidney, NE. I've added a few photos from this chase day below:

Well we got a storm to go up at least...
Another view of this storm's base...
Some interesting motion here!
Dying convection in the distance...

A tough chase day with not many storms that showed supercell characteristics in this area, but they did in Colorado unfortunately. I would decide to depart the very next morning and drive back home to Illinois, but I did find some storms along the way once again. I'll update with that post soon.