Monday, September 12, 2016

07/20/16 Starved Rock & Matthiessen State Park

St. Louis Canyon waterfall at Starved Rock State Park near Oglesby, IL

In July, I traveled to Oglesby, IL to return to Starved Rock State Park and Matthiessen State Park to hike and photograph the waterfalls in this area after recent rains. I've visited these parks several times in years past, but mostly in the fall however. This time I decided to focus on some waterfall photography with my Canon 5D Mark III. I was quite happy with the waterfalls on these couple of days I visited the park. The photography at the park went quite well. Unfortunately, on one occasion I went for a swim after a misstep which led to a submerged iPhone that was in my pocket. Let's just say I learned my lesson on this day to keep my iPhone in a much safer place away from water. Anyhow, I've added photos from a couple days of photography at these state parks below:

This waterfall was quite photogenic on this afternoon!
Quite a photogenic waterfall!
An awesome vertical shot!
I came across an epic sunflower field near the park...
Amazing!
One of my favorites!
One very tall canyon!
A favorite!
I really like this shot as well!
A wide-angle shot!
A really neat vertical shot of this waterfall!
Another neat shot!
These sunflowers were amazing!
Another neat angle...
Some black n' white!
The greenery in July is quite vivid in this area!
"Tranquility"
A cool wide-angle shot!
"Ghostly waterfall"
A close-up of this waterfall!
Another close-up!
An amazing waterfall!
A neat perspective behind the waterfall!
Another black n' white!
Another neat perspective!
A tripod and shutter release are essential when photographing waterfalls...
A wide-angle shot of Lake Falls!
More good stuff...
"Falling water"
Sunflowers are my favorite!
These waterfalls were fun to photograph when people were not present...
One more of Lake Falls...
Good stuff!
A great waterfall to photograph!
I really like this close-up!
"Raining water"
Gotta love the green colors of summer!
One more shot as I call it a day of successful hiking and photography...

That wraps up this post. On July 28th, I decided to photograph some nature and summer wildlife in the area and I'll be updating with that post shortly.