Friday, July 31, 2015

07/21/15 Badlands of South Dakota: A Sky Full of Stars

Photographing the Badlands of South Dakota on SD Rt. 240 at twilight under the stars south of Wall, SD

On July 21st, I headed to the Badlands of South Dakota for some more photography-work during my summer vacation this year. I have visited this park several times over the last few years. Badlands National Park is open 24 hrs. just south of Wall, SD and I have always wanted to photograph this area at night someday.  On this night, I finally decided to venture out of my hotel after 2:00am to photograph the night sky in this area. It was a beautiful night for photography and observing the stars! It felt like you were in a different world of sorts as I was the only person probably awake at this hour in the park. I took a few awesome photos using a form of light painting to illuminate some foregrounds. Of course, I had to use a tripod and shoot some 30sec. exposures to capture these images as well. I used my Canon 5D Mark III along with my Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II L lens to photograph the stars. I wish I had more time and could stay awake longer, but as it got closer to dawn it was time to get a little bit of sleep. Anyhow, I spent a few hours in the park shooting throughout the early morning-hours. I've added photos from this night below:

I used my car headlights to bounce just enough light off some of the cliffs to illuminate the foreground...
"I'll be waiting up, counting the stars"
"Chasing your starlight"
"A heavenly view"
Incredible to see this kind of view at twilight!
It's safe to say I'll be visiting this park under the stars in the years to come once again...

It was a great night for photography. I came away with some really neat images and a ton more ideas when I return someday. I'll update soon with more photography posts from my trip to the Northern Plains.